At the end of December my mom’s very best friends threw me a beautiful bridal shower. My “aunts”, as I call them, put so much thought and detail into the special day. From the green and white “Michigan State” color scheme to the perfectly festive Christmas centerpieces, everything about it was perfect. They even gave every guest a jar filled with cookie ingredients with an attached recipe.
But one of my favorite details had to be the Recipe Box that they gave me, filled with recipes from all the guests who were able to attend. It was such a sweet and thoughtful gift and will serve as a wonderful memory of such a great day. So now, well after the holiday season has calmed down, I am finally getting around to sampling the recipes that were carefully stuffed into my recipe box. The first recipe I tried was a recipe for Hasselback Potatoes from my Aunt Renee. You slice russet potatoes and sprinkle with herbs and cheese for a delicious and decadent side dish. Make sure you fan the slices out well, or the potato will not bake through all the way. I served these potatoes with a simple pork loin and it was an incredibly delicious dinner.
Ingredients: Makes 4 servings
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh herbs ( I used a combination of chopped thyme & sage)
- 4 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Scrub and rinse potatoes
- Cut potatoes into thin slices but not all the way through
- Put potatoes in a baking dish, fan them slightly
- Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with melted butter. sprinkle with dried herbs
- Bake potatoes at 425 for 50 minutes
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheeses
- Bake potatoes for another 10-15 minutes until lightly browned, cheeses are melted and potatoes are soft inside