Well guys, the holiday season is almost upon us! The 6 weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas are without a doubt my favorite time of the year. I get overly excited each and every year for this wonderful time filled with family, friends and, of course, holiday food. But before I bombard you with billions of festive recipes and holiday adventures, I thought I would share my new favorite weeknight dinner. And it all starts with a slow cooker. My mom bought a slow cooker at an estate sale last summer and I have been loving this amazing kitchen appliance. And no, I am not embarrassed that I am excited about an appliance. Even when I was little, relatives would often give me random cooking and baking appliances for Christmas and I loved each and every one of them. At 12, I received my own blender which resulted in tons of milkshake and smoothie “recipes.” At 15, I received a breadmaker which resulted in loaf after loaf of homemade bread. And now, at 24, the slow cooker is the apple of my eye. My new routine is to throw a few chicken breasts in the slow cooker on Sunday afternoon so I have several servings of shredded chicken to use for lunch and dinner throughout the week. Monday I heated it up and mixed it with a healthy serving of barbeque sauce. Tuesday I used it in a big salad. Wednesday I added it to Chicken Quesadillas and Thursday I made these super easy Chicken Caesar Wraps. Below is both the base recipe for shredded chicken and the recipe I used for the Chicken Caesar Wraps. The nice thing about the slow cooker is that there is no added butter or oil, yet the chicken comes out incredibly moist and tender. So here is (perhaps my last) healthy recipe before the holiday baking season officially begins. Enjoy!
Shredded Chicken Ingredients: Makes 6-8 servings
- 6 frozen chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Lawry’s seasoning salt (or seasoning of your choice)
Chicken Caesar Wrap Ingredients: Makes 2 servings
- 1 1/2 cups shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup Caesar dressing
- 2 wraps
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 3 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- To prepare the shredded chicken: Place frozen chicken breasts in the slow cooker and cover with chicken broth and seasoning
- Turn slow cooker on high, and let cook for 6 hours
- After chicken is tender and cooked through completely, transfer chicken breasts to a large bowl, straining any remaining liquid
- Using two forks, shred chicken breasts*
- To prepare chicken Caesar wraps: Place 1 1/2 cups shredded chicken in a medium bowl and add Caesar dressing, mixing until just combined. (You may want to add more dressing depending upon your preference)
- To assemble wraps, place 1/2 cup shredded romaine in each wrap
- Top each wrap with 3/4 cup chicken mixture
- Sprinkle each wrap with 1 1/2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- Roll the wrap up and enjoy!
*Store extra shredded chicken in an airtight container in the fridge.