Has anyone else ever noticed that fruit flavored things taste nothing like the actual fruit? Grapes are delicious, but grape candy tends to taste like cough syrup. Bananas are awesome but banana flavored food often tastes like…well nothing. And how about strawberry flavored milk? I mean, you don’t often see pink cows roaming around….or at least if you do, you maaay need to get that checked out. (Just a suggestion.) Anyway, my point is, although artificial flavors work at times, I’m personally a bigger fan of a more natural approach. And that is where these cupcakes come in. First I made a variation on the vanilla cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery, (a famous little bakery in New York that I hope to someday visit)… And then I added my own fresh strawberry cream cheese frosting. The frosting tastes just like fresh strawberries because that is exactly what is used to flavor it. And it is so delicious that I may have kept the leftover frosting to spread on graham crackers for a snack…I know. Pretty crazy. The frosting is a bit looser than traditional cream cheese frostings because of the addition of all the strawberry goodness, but I promise it is still very very delicious and it won’t slide off of the cupcake. But I may have witnessed a new 4 year old friend of mine lick all the frosting off this particular cupcake in a few seconds flat. I took it as a good sign.
Ingredients: Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz (8 tablespoons) butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup minced strawberries
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- For the cupcakes, mix flour and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl cream butter & sugar together.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- Next alternate adding dry ingredients and milk to butter mixture.
- Finally, stir in vanilla.
- Divide batter into 12 cupcake liners and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350.
- Cream butter & cream cheese together with an electric mixer.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar and vanilla until well incorporated.
- Place in fridge for 1-2 hours.
- In the meantime, mix finely minced strawberries with sugar in a small bowl and let sit for 1-2 hours.
- After frosting & strawberries have set, add strawberry mixture to frosting. It will be slightly loose.