Every morning, I follow the same routine. I get up around 6, and after I go for a run and shower, I sit down with my coffee and read the 6 or 7 blogs that I follow. It’s such a relaxing start to my work day. My favorite blogs consist mostly of “healthy living blogs” which typically revolve around healthy recipes, race recaps and stories from the lives of other 20-something girls. But there are a few blogs that I read that have no mentions of exercise, vegetables or health food of any kind. Food Blogs. And in my opinion, one of the best ones out there is How Sweet It Is. This blog features recipe after recipe of indulgent and mouthwatering dishes. But I should warn you, perusing this blog will most definitely make you hungry. Well the other day, Jessica of How Sweet It Is posted a classic Liz Lemon “I want to go to there” recipe that I knew I would have to make in the coming week. This moist, flavorful banana bread is topped with the most delicious coconut cinnamon streusel I have ever tasted. The bread itself actually uses coconut oil, rather than your typical butter, as a source of fat. If you’ve never used coconut oil before, I highly recommend it. It is solid at room temperature, but a few seconds in the microwave results in a syrupy, lightly flavored oil that is delicious on toast. I’ve also heard it can be used as a lip balm or a hair mask. Personally, I prefer it in my recipes. Especially this recipe. It is a perfect sweet treat and will make your whole house smell absolutely heavenly. Enjoy!
Ingredients: Recipe from How Sweet It Is
- 1 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- 4 bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2/3 cups brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan thoroughly with nonstick spray.
2. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, whisking thoroughly. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and brown sugar until smooth.
4. Add in coconut milk and coconut oil, whisking until combined.
5. Stir in mashed bananas, vanilla and coconut extracts until mixed.
6. Slowly stir in dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour batter in the greased loaf pan.
7. Combine all the streusel ingredients in a bowl and mix with your hands until butter is well combined. Evenly sprinkle on top of the banana bread batter.
8. Bake for 75-85 minutes, or until center is set. If the streusel begins to brown, tent the bread with aluminum foil.
9.Remove and let cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting.