My family usually had parties for everything. Random holidays, EVERYONE’s birthday…it was pretty much a given that we would have a family party every weekend growing up. But nowadays, as everyone is getting more and more busy, we’ve gotten into combining some of those parties. For example, Thanksgiving is now also a celebration of me and my cousin Kristen‘s (a fellow blogger) birthdays. My mom sticks candles in the pumpkin pies and we call it a day. And yes, it does make complete sense that my birthday has been combined with the fattiest holiday of the year. Thank you for noticing. Anyway, Father’s Day has now been combined with my cousin Lauren’s birthday. So a dual dessert was called for.
Tropical key lime cupcakes to celebrate my Jimmy Buffet loving dad, and homemade funfetti cupcakes to celebrate my fun loving, constantly giggling cousin. Seriously. It is a well known story in our family that all it took was the word “mop” to get this girl going for a good hour. Sure, she was six at the time but whatever. It still counts. The girl laughs a lot. So funfetti it is. I took a regular sour cream cupcake recipe and divided it into two bowls. One bowl became key lime cupcakes with the addition of lime zest, coconut extract & lime cream cheese frosting. The other became homemade funfetti with a swirl of sprinkles, vanilla frosting & classic funfetti frosting. And there we had an easy pair of desserts that satisfied both family celebrations.
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1.5 cups granulated sugar
2 egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add egg whites, beating well after each addition. Add eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Combine milk, vanilla, and sour cream in a bowl, whisking until incorporated.
- With electric mixer at low speed, add flour mixture alternately with milk mixture, beating well after each addition.
For funfetti: Add 4-5 tablespoons sprinkles & 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For lime cupcakes: Add 1-2 tablespoons fresh lime zest & 1 teaspoon coconut extract
6. Bake at 350 for 18 minutes
Lime Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- Beat butter & cream cheese until creamy, slowly add powdered sugar. Stir in lime juice & zest