Getting back into a regular work week is always a little tough after an especially fun weekend. And this past weekend was definitely a fun one. Eric and I had a fancy date night on Saturday night to celebrate our sixth Valentine’s Day together. This year we visited Giovanni’s Restaurant in Detroit, which features incredibly delicious and authentic Italian cuisine. Sunday morning we got brunch with some friends and spent the rest of the afternoon watching SNL reruns. So, needless to say, I was a bit sad to see such a relaxing weekend end. But one of the ways I’ve learned to combat the Monday blues is to plan at least one special weeknight meal for the week ahead. It’s fun for me to spend a little more time in the kitchen, and it’s fun for Eric because he gets something a little more special than our typical grilled chicken. One of our new favorites is this Pepperoni Chicken. I had some leftover cheese and pepperoni from a homemade pizza and decided to get a little creative. It made my pizza obsessed husband pretty happy, and I thought it was pretty delicious myself. Enjoy!
Ingredients: Makes 3 servings
- 3 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- cooking spray
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1/4 shredded mozzarella
- 6-8 pepperonis
- To prepare the chicken, use a meat mallet to beat chicken until each chicken breast is approximately 1 inch thick, set aside
- Set up “breading station” by placing flour in a dish or paper plate. Next mix the beaten egg with 1/4 cup water in a small bowl. Next place Italian breadcrumbs in a 2nd dish or paper plate
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
- To bread chicken, place in the flour dish first, covering chicken completely with flour. Shake off excess flour.
- Next, place floured chicken breast in egg mixture until completely coated. Shake off excess egg.
- Finally, place chicken in breadcrumbs until completely coated. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts
- Place chicken breasts on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Spray each breast with cooking spray
- Bake at 400 for 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 180 degrees
- Remove chicken from oven, and top each chicken breast with 1-2 tablespoons of marinara, 2-3 pepperonis, and 2-3 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella. Return to oven for 1-2 minutes additional cooking time, or until cheese has melted.